The Republic tennis team opened its season with a 6-3 loss to Springfield Central, but Coach Dan Vales said he found some things to like about his team’s opening night.
“Given all the seniors we graduated, we had five of six new varsity players in the lineup,” Vales said. “Given every single player is playing a (generally much) higher rank spot than they would have played last year, it was impressive to have so much success against a strong program like Central.”
Republic’s lone win among three doubles matches was in the top doubles match, where Drew McMillin and Ian Deckard combined to win in a tiebreaker. The other two doubles matches went to Central, but both were close. Braden Snyder and Scott Parker lost their match 9-7, and Chase Elder and Jacob Moody lost 8-5.
1. McMillin/Deckard d. Shunyakov/Trimble 9-8 (8-6)
2. Mandava/Verma d. Snyder/Parker 9-7
3. Gravely/Park d. Elder/Moody 8-5
1. Mandava d. Drew McMillin 8-5
2. Shunyakov d. Braden Snyder 8-4
3. Trimble d. Ian Deckard 8-4
4. Gravely d. Chase Elder 8-6
5. Jacob Moody d. Park 8-6
6. Scott Parker d. Verma 8-6