Even in a loss Monday to Springfield Glendale, coach Dan Vales said he saw positive signs for his team as the girls tennis season enters its stretch run.
“I felt the girls overall had a stronger performance today,” coach Dan Vales said afterwards, despite Glendale’s 6-3 win. “It was nice seeing Carly McAtee get back up to speed coming off an injury. She had a great day, winning easily #3 singles and pairing up with Hannah to win #2 doubles.
“Sedalia (Shumaker) and Abby (McCord) also had a good day, taking a good #3 doubles team to a tiebreak,” Vales continued. “Finally, Katie Stiles’ singles play has really been coming on in the last week and continued that trend with a tight match at #2 singles.”
Vales said he sees progress after a couple of recent losses as the team prepares for Senior Night Thursday, then the final few matches of the season.
“We just need to put the pieces down the stretch here to hopefully make a run at conference and district. We are going to play a lot of tennis this week to try to help get run for the end run,” he said.
Republic celebrates Senior Night Thursday.
Doubles scores vs. Glendale
1. Huang/Hamm d. Crawford/Stiles 8-3
2. Stiles/Morgan d. Martino/Smith 8-5
3. Froehle/Liggett d. McCord/Shumaker 9-8 (7-3)
Singles scores vs. Glendale
1. Lucy Huang d. Elsie Crawford 8-1
2. Isabella Martino d. Katie Stiles 9-7
3. Carly McAtee d. Mia Froohle 8-1
4. Abby McCord d. Monroe Liggett 8-1
5. Emma Smith d. Hannah Morgan 8-2
6. Lauren Hamm d. Jasmine Howard 8-0